An idol showcase is a concert style event where groups perform through lip-sync and dance, to songs from established “idol” groups. NOTE : This event is not a competition.Please read the rules below.
***Applications are open from March 27 to May 21 inclusively. Send your application here****
- There will be 8 groups selected. Groups may consist of up to 10 members.
- All participants must be 16 years old or older.
- A person may belong to and audition with one group only.
- At this time, the Kira Kira START Idol Showcase is only accepting performances of songs from existing idol anime, games, and real life groups. No original idol groups will be accepted.
Examples of such groups would be
- Trigger (Idolish7)
- Aqours (Love Live)
- Fine (Ensemble Stars)
- Stray Kids
- No live singing, the Kira Kira START Idol Showcase will be lip-sync only.
- No glitter or other small items may be thrown on stage. No items at all may be thrown off stage. If your group plans to do a stunt, you must include the details of your stunt in your application and then wait for approval. If your stunt is not approved, do not perform it on stage.
- No open flame, liquids, powders, smoke machines of any size or “flash” paper are allowed on stage. If you want to use an electronic flash or any other visual effect, you need to mention it on your application form so the host can warn the audience. No laser pointers are allowed. No loose glitter is allowed either on stage.
- No slippery or messy substances are allowed on stage. In doubt, ask the idol showcase direction when you submit your form. The stage must be in the same condition before and after your number. If you have to leave anything on the stage, the objects need to be easy to pick up by the tech staff. Otherwise, you need to have your own ninja to pick it up.
- No real firearms, real firearm replicas or throwing weapons are allowed. No cold weapon, no metal blade, be it sharpened or not are allowed. If your costume needs a bow, the bowstring must be removed when not on stage. Any weapon used during the idol showcase must follow the Montreal Comiccon Weapons and Large Props Rules and Regulations. Exceptions are at the direction’s discretion only.
- Cosplay is encouraged but not required. However, please dress presentably and in something you know you can perform in. No nudity or otherwise sexual outfits.
- The Idol Showcase Director reserves the right to remove anyone from the event for any reason deemed sufficient that can include but is not limited to: inappropriate, indecent, rude, racist or sexist behavior. Threats and/or violence of any kind to staff, attendees and volunteers will not be tolerated and can result in immediate expulsion from the convention.
Idol Group Auditions
- Applications will open from March 27 to May 21. Send your application here.
- Groups will submit 5 songs, ordered by priority, with #1 being the most desired. After the groups have been selected, song selection will be done in the order in which the applications were received – so the first group who submitted their application will get first choice among any groups who have decided to perform from the same source media. If your group is selected, you will receive an email with the songs out of your list that you will perform, which will be equal or less than 6 minutes in total length for the complete song set. There will be no duplicate songs performed.
a. If your group is performing in cosplay, the rule above applies to outfit sets as well, with the exception of it being top 3 choices.
- Groups will need to provide an audition video of 2 minutes, maximum, performing a song from the source material submitted with the application. The song in your audition should not be one on your list of songs submitted to perform.
- Audition tapes ideally would include all members of your group. If this is not possible, please ensure that at least 80% of the members of your group are in the audition tape.
- Whether your group was selected or not, you will receive an email. If your group was selected, there will be additional correspondence. Please note that if your group is selected, you will have 48 hours to reply to the acceptance email, otherwise you will lose your spot in the Idol Showcase. Selected groups will be given weekend passes for all members listed on the application – please be sure to include legal names.
** Kira Kira START reserves the right to choose which audition videos to post. If your submitted video does not follow the guidelines or is in any way inappropriate or hurtful, your application will be discarded.